THE FIRST RESPONSE



 Image result for clip art showing humility
 To complete the narrative in 2 Kings 19, the news of the field commander's intimidating statements and the presence of the army of soldiers is taken to the King Hezekiah.  I can't figure out how he would not have known an army was near and ready for a fight, but his response is to tear his clothes, put on sackcloth, and he goes into the temple of the Lord. (Tearing the clothes and putting on sackcloth are choices which show humility).  Hezekiah's officials are sent to the man of the hour, one of my heroes, Isaiah, the prophet.  Isaiah is the mouthpiece for God and he delivers this message to Hezekiah, "Do not be afraid of what you have heard--those words with which the underlings of the king of Assyria have blasphemed me.  Listen, I am going to put such a spirit in him that when he hears a certain report, he will return to his own country, and there I will have him cut down with the sword."  

Another attempt of intimidation and strong-arming comes again to Hezekiah.  His response is to PRAY, an humble response which is asking for God to ENTER into the circumstance.  His prayer is in 2 Kings 19:15-19.  What a prayer of praise to the Lord God and intercession for his kingdom! Isaiah enters the narrative again and speaks to Hezekiah, "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I have heard your prayer concerning Sennacherib king of Assyria.... ."  GOD informs Isaiah HIS course of action to Sennacherib, king of Assyria, and it is not a pretty or flowering action that causes you to guess what GOD has planned.  HE assures Hezekiah, by way of Isaiah, that Sennacherib will not even enter the city, but will leave just as he had come.  That very night, the angel of the Lord put to death 180,000 men in the Assyrian camp.  Sennacherib hastily leaves Jerusalem and returns to Nineveh.  Within a short period of time, he enters his temple to the worship of his god, Nisroch, and his own sons kill Sennacherib, and escape to another country. 

When I am being pressed by the enemy with his taunts and lies, I am learning, and NOTE, I am still in process, for I fail too many times.  I am learning to first humble myself to the Lord and confess my ugly choices of what I would first like to do  to the offender, (like HE doesn't know already!) but then admit that I will yield to the Holy Spirit and HIS counsel of the course of action which will honor HIM and the LORD.  I hate the mop-up of the collateral damage when I allow negative words and emotions loose out of my mouth!   Loose lips do not sink ships, but rather can hurt myself and others.  Proverbs 21:23, "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity."  Reminder to Cheryl: GOD RESISTS THE PROUD! 1 Peter 5:5.  Forever learning! In process, still!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN