LEARNING TO CAST

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING A CASTING NET   I dearly love the "Foot in Mouth" Fisherman Peter.  He is so practical.  From his own experience as a fisherman, he gives us a command, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." I Peter 5:7.  David said about the same truth in Psalm 55:2, "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."  As always, I am curious about the meaning of words in the Hebrew or Greek to get a better understanding of the word as the speaker means it in his language.  The word, cast, carries the meaning of to throw upon.  The verb is in a tense that is an action to be done ONCE AND FOR ALL. For me, I cast many times because the ole flesh wants to grab it all back!

I have to confess to you that I looked in the Scriptures and I have not found a verse which says, "Cheryl, I want you to carry your every anxiety and to spend precious time fretting, stewing, and being fearful.  I have confidence in you that you will work out your problems." Rather, I read and hear the opposing truth: "Cheryl, cast all your cares (burdens, distractions, anxieties) on me (JESUS) for I care for you."  I need to be concerned that the alternatives to NOT CASTING damage the health of my body, my mind, my heart, my spirit, and bottom-line, it is blatant sin...really transgression.  Transgression is rebellion because Scripture has made it clear that I am not to be anxious and God's remedy is given in His Word.  Transgression, again the bottom line, is rebellion.  I will not obey what God has spoken in His Word to me.  I choose to trust in my flesh to take care of me.  

One of the names of our Lord God in Scripture is El Shaddai (Ps. 91:1-2, 81:10, Gen. 17:1).  The word shown is Almighty God.  The word means the many breasted one.  We recognize that the breast, especially in the time of Scripture, was used for nourishing an infant.  Father God is the one who succors, pours forth blessing, comforts, gives rest, warmth, God of Mercy and Grace, One whom we can lean upon, makes us fruitful, able to restore, present in our weakness, and HE is our Source. In His caring, He protects us.  He truly is able to care for us, but am I willing to trust HIM to do that?  I recall a line from an old hymn, "The arm of flesh will fail you, you dare not trust your own."  

Thank YOU, Lord God, that You know my heart, and today I cast my cares, and here they are....name them...on YOU.  Forever learning!  In process, still. #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN