WHEN A CHALLENGE LOOMS BEFORE US

Related imageI am a sucker for the "happily ever after" stories whether in Scripture or real life.  I love it when the hero, who is the lone and insignificant person, is able rise to the impossible and overcome victoriously.  Of course, he or she may end up with a few minor and in some cases, major wounds, but is victorious in spite of the challenge/challenger.  

The Philistines have harassed Israel most of the reign of Saul.  David is now in service to Saul and is in fact, his armor bearer.  David is  tending his sheep when he is given the task of taking food to his brothers who are encamped and preparing to fight the Philistines.  Israel is encamped on one side of the Valley of Elah and the Philistines are on the opposite side of the valley.  Goliath, the champion and giant mouth,  challenges Israel to a contest between he and a warrior of Israel. 1Samuel 17:11 records that Saul and all Israel are dismayed and greatly afraid.  So fearful that they run from Goliath. Goliath is no imagined fear...he is real, intimidating, and a bully. Saul, the once brave warrior, is cowering also.  

David overhears the conversations of the men of Israel as they are discussing the benefits that will be given to the man who kills the giant.  He will be given great riches, receive Saul's daughter in marriage, and no taxes for his father's house.  David boldly asks, "For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should taunt the armies of the living God?"  

As I sit in my own private "war room" and look at my prayer list, glancing over the cares that I have personally listed, I am learning to ask myself some questions: 1.  What is the priority of this care? (Real or perceived care?  Another word for care from 1 Peter 5:7, is distraction/anxiety.) 2.  Is there a Scripture promise to address this care?  3.  Am I willing to pray this Scripture that applies to the care?  4.  Am I going to trust God or am I going to move into my old default mindsets of fear and pride? 5.  Who is in charge of this challenge?  

 I love Scripture promises that are an NCIS pop to the back of my head by the Holy Spirit to speak Truth to the challenge: Jeremiah 32:37, "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh; is there anything too difficult for Me?" Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Does the challenge go away...not always, but it does shrink in comparison to Mighty God who is ABLE (meaning ALL POWERFUL).  HE has not surrendered control and is not stumped as to how HE will solve this challenge or use this challenge for my spiritual well-fare.   Forever in process!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN