INTENTIONS

  
 Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING PRIORITY LIST  Joshua gathers all the tribes of Israel at Shechem and begins his farewell address to them.  He began with them at age 40 and now, he is 110 years old.  He was blessed to have served under Moses during those 40 years and now they have entered and settled in the land God promised to them.  In his speech he reminds them of all the God has done in their behalf as if God was speaking: "I brought you"; "I destroyed"; "I gave you"; "I took"; "I sent"...all instances of God's leading and intervening for them.  

Joshua put a challenge before them and the same challenge is before you and me TODAY: "Now fear the Lord and serve Him will all faithfulness.  Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord.  BUT if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served....BUT as for me and my household, we will served the Lord." Joshua 24:14-15  Please note the intention of the people as they responded, "Far be it from us to forsake the Lord to serve other gods!"  That very day, Joshua made a covenant for the people.  Covenant is a commitment between two parties which is irrevocable.  In this case, it was a covenant from the people to GOD (the people, the lesser, to the Greatest, GOD). If you have read the book to follow Joshua, Judges, you will see so clearly that the people broke covenant with their GOD.  Judges states that "every person did as he saw fit".  No problem there? Judges is a painful read of a people who were led by their impulses/choices or what "felt" good. 

It was their intention and they are not so very different from me...I intend.  An ole sage has said well, "The road to hell is paved with our intentions."  Idols can be so seductive and subtle.  We never mean for anything or anyone to take first priority on our list.  My idol is not some little statue of a deity, rather, it may morph into the shape of me. What makes me happy? What makes me feel good?  What do others think of me?  Do they notice me?  I wonder why she didn't speak to me?  My knowledge? My ability? Most of the thoughts and energies about promoting me.  Oh me, I haven't even touched on what could be idols other than me which I may not even recognize as idols:  habits/opinions/emotions/behavior/things/people which hold sway over my priority list above pleasing, honoring, and serving the Lord God. Holy Spirit of God probe my mind, my will, my emotions, and finger the area or areas where an idol has been set up and taken precedence over YOUR plan and purpose in my life.  Choose you this day, whom You will serve!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN