GRIEF, A PROCESS

Image result for bouquet clipartFrom The Message,  Isaiah gives an encouragement to Judah,  who has long been in Babylonian captivity and after years of mourning, is returning "home" Isaiah 61:3, "To care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion, give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes, messages of joy instead of news of doom, a praising heart instead of a languid spirit." Grief has no rule book, no set emotions, and seemingly at times, no boundaries.  When the waves of grief wash over me, I cannot define my emotions except to say, "I grieve."

 As I read the book of Ruth, I decide not just to read it casually, but to read it with empathy for Naomi because I, too, am a fellow traveler with her as you may be also.

Naomi and Ruth have returned to Bethlehem, Naomi's hometown.  Grief has changed her facial demeanor, I assume because "and the women said, "Is this Naomi?" (I read from one author that it may have been some ten years that Naomi had been in Moab.) Her name, Naomi, means pleasant, but hear her statement: "Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara (Bitter) for the Almighty has afflicted me."  

Bitterness, as many emotions, has a way of etching the facial features and shaping attitudes, and Naomi is being very honest!  It isn't recorded, but I wonder if some of the women did not load her down with "spiritual" replies chiding her for her bitterness and her anger against the Lord God?  Does she need chiding or does she needs the "ears" of grace from her hearers?  She understands that God is Sovereign and that He is in control, hence she blames Him.  Praise the Lord, that He is God and that HE  can handle our emotions of blame which we all may have thrown at Him.  He certainly knows well how fragile and finite we are...you wonder?  Check out Psalm 139!  The Truth that Naomi knows about God, in her grief for now, is secondary.  All the Truths we know, can be head knowledge until we are pressed upon to live them out! I love a quote from Ron Dunn, a pastor-evangelist, now deceased, who was plagued with depression for ten years and had a son with manic-depressive illness who committed suicide, "I have been to the bottom and I have found it to be solid."  All Naomi knows is that she has lost a husband and two sons...plus protection of a husband, loving relationships, provision of income, grandchildren she may never have, etc.  Her dreams have been shattered!  She is at her bottom!  As I travel with her, I see that she finding her bottom in the grief process and it is going to be solid.  Grief may be a process without short-cuts and  time restraints.

Grief seems to have a season.  No one can dictate how long or when it subsides.  Subsides suggests it is lessening in prominence. To any readers who are fellow mourners, may we begin to return to that familiar place of inner peace that receives bouquets of  gracious thougths, messages of joy, and have praising hearts offered freely to the Lord, rather than offered out of obedience!  Lord God, may my grief be fruitful to your glory during this season.  May it be spent well.  Thank you for grief and the wonderful opportunities to have loved so deeply!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN