A FLAW IN OUR CHARACTER

Image result for clipart of character flaws   Oh my, Saul is given another opportunity to show that he can function as a man after God's own heart and in today's reading, 1 Samuel 15, we will find more flaws revealed in his character. 

 Samuel again comes to Saul and give him instructions from the Lord.  Saul is to strike  the Amalekites and utterly destroy them and spare no one and no thing. (I am the first to confess that I do not fully understand such a directive, but I do know that God is good.  He is long-suffering and that fact is shown in that it had been a  couple of hundred years since Israel had come up from Egypt and  the Amalekites sought to fight and destroy Israel.)  The Amalekites are defeated.  BUT Saul and the people spare the king, the best of the animals, and all that is useful.  What they could not use or deem as worthless, they destroyed.  

Of course, God knows Saul's heart and reveals to Samuel what Saul has done.  The Lord's take, "I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me, and has not carried out my commands."  Samuel's response:  he cried out all night to the Lord in his distress for Saul's decisions.  Samuel goes to find Saul and repeats the directives of the Lord to Saul.  Saul's response was that he did follow through on the mission against the Amalekites, but brought back Amalek  to Gilgal, and the people took the best of the animals to sacrifice to the Lord.  (No reason given as to why he spared Amalek.)  Saul is repentant and is most concerned that Samuel stay with him to honor him before the elders of his people and Israel.  Samuel leaves Saul and does not see him again.  Samuel calls Saul's disobedience rebellion and insubordination.  Saul will continue on for years as king, but without the influence of Samuel to guide him. 

Samuel's words to Saul, "Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice."  Obedience always brings blessings.  The blessings may not be immediate, but the Psalmist expresses my heart, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God; Thy Law is within my heart." Psalm 40:8  Whom would I rather delight?  The Lord God or me?  I have chosen me at times, and it has not been a pretty or happy sight!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN