TURNING ASIDE

Image result for clip art showing turning aside    To be like all the nations around them, Israel has demanded a king.  I find it very interesting that Scripture plainly states in 1 Samuel 9:16 that it is God who chooses Saul to be the first king.  God reassures Samuel that Israel's demand for a king was rejection of God being their King and not the rejection of Samuel.  

Saul is the king, however, Samuel, like any well-meaning parent, wants to remind Israel of their history to this point.  Samuel gives them four pertinent reminders: 1. Serve the Lord with ALL your heart. 2. Do not turn aside from following the Lord because loss of focus on Him will cause you to value worthless things which will not benefit you long term. 3.  Samuel vows to continue to intercede/pray for them and instruct them. 4. Remember the great things that God has done for you. 1 Samuel 12:20-25.  His last statement in this chapter to them is not a threat, but rather a promise: " But if you still do wickedly, both you and your king shall be swept away." 

Almost 3,000 years later, the counsel is still pertinent and stands.  Matthew 6:33, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness..." When I turn aside from focus on HIM and am distracted by cares that come with daily living, I begin to focus on futile (empty, worthless) "things" which are not of any value for my long-term spiritual well-being. My next step in the downward spiral is "fretting and stewing".  I desire to make the declaration: I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; ...It shall not fasten its grip on me." Psalm 101:3. I'm  in process, not attained fully!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN