WHEN FLOOD WATERS SWELL

Related imageEons ago sitting in a Bible study class of Betty Sands, a missionary who was on furlough, taught our class at North Central Baptist Church and the passage was from Romans 12:3b caught my attention. The sentence in context: "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."   We had been studying the gifts of the Holy Spirit and their operations in our lives as Christ followers.  My "measure" of faith was always small  and was held small by my fears (insecurity, inferiority, and pride which I had practiced well) I decided that day that I wanted the Lord to teach me "great faith" and not even sure what great faith looked like, but I wanted fear to shrivel and die.  I had NO clue of what I was asking.  I just knew that I wanted what God had in store for me.  What a faith walk it has been!  At times, it has been a fire walk. 

Today from Joshua 3, the Israelites are ready to cross the Jordan River to enter the Promised Land.  The river is at flood stage and God tells Joshua to command the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant "when you reach the edge of the Jordan's waters, go and stand in the river."  The people were to follow.  HOW DO YOU STAND IN A FLOOD AND IN A TORRENT OF WATERS?  (Surely by the Grace of God!) Scripture records as soon as the priests and the Ark entered the water, "the water upstream stopped flowing".  The people crossed "standing on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan."  What an act of faith this required for Joshua, the priests carrying the Ark, and the 40K or so people following behind were able to cross on dry ground!

As I read the passage, my mind wandered back to the incident of my requesting the Lord to teach me great faith.  I must clarify my faith.  It had always been so slight that any growth in faith would have been greater than what it had been!  That request from 40 years ago, God is honoring....not that I have "great" faith, but that I grow in faith and  that fear shrivel and die. He continues to press me that I might grow in "faithing" Him.   I have felt at times that my faith walk has been swelling with flood waters all around me and that I was going to drown!  God has been so gracious to hold back all that could have happened and has orchestrated events that have worked for my spiritual welfare....fear in the shriveling process, inferiority, insecurity, and pride more easily to recognize and confess.  Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."  I am the first to confess, walking in or walking by faith is not an easy stroll, but it is grueling, being "gutsy" by the grace of God under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit, and so very sweet, in spite of begging for a life preserver from the Lord, because I know my growing in faith pleases HIM.  Whether in flood waters or walking on dry ground, we are empowered by the Indwelling Spirit of God in us to remember we are more than conquerors and that HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS DOING to conform you and me to the image of His Dear Son.  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN