LIVING IN DECEIT

It is always such a "fist to the gut" when you find out that someone that you trust has taken the route of deceit.  Deceit takes many forms.  It always is closely akin to a lie and self deception. Always about hiding.  One might know it is an inappropriate choice when it has to be hidden!   Recall Adam and Eve hidding from God because of fear. In order to hunker down into deceit, it would seem that one would have to feel justified in "doing what he or she has to do".  It is always the "means justifies the end".  Deceit seems to also take on the role of presumption.  The presumption is: He or she will get over it.  I do what I have to do.  It is worth the risk to the relationship to do what is "needful".  In deceit, the one being deceived is always the one who gives the most. The deceiver seems to be very comfortable with the role and is proud of what is perceived as accomplished.  She or he is usually a manipulator of events.

Tragically, what is accomplished on the part of the one deceived is distrust and full knowledge that this choice has become apart of character and is a stronghold especially if this is not the first go round with deceit.  Even sadder, the relationship is further compromised and on very shaky ground if it is able to continue.  Psalm 51: 6, "Surely YOU desire truth in the inner parts, YOU teach me wisdom in the inmost place." Looking at deceit in Greek and Hebrew, the languages of the Bible, the word is associated with deception, fraud, falsehood, lying, crooked, slippery, and to deal treacherously.  I did not find one positive expression of the word!

The real source of deceit:  the evil one and the flesh which is prideful.  I cannot figure out how the deceiver is able to justify or be at peace with the choice/stronghold.  I cannot "fix" her or him, but I can position myself:  I will humble myself under God's mighty hand for I know that HE gives grace to the humble.  I will cast my cares on HIM because HE cares for me.  I will be spirit controlled and alert to the schemes of the evil one.  I will resist the evil one and his shenanigans.  I am trusting the GOD of all grace, after I have been afflicted for a little while, to restore, to make strong, causing me to be firm and steadfast.  1 Peter 5:7.  By faith, I will forgive, but I will be very discerning in the relationship and trust God for the rebuilding of trust if the relationship is able to survive and eventually thrive.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN