COMPETITION IN THE FAMILY

Competition in sports can be a fun display if it is shown healthily and positively. However, there is one expression of competition that can almost destroy a family...comparing in the family of one member to another, and then moving into competing.  Whether in the Body of Christ or in a personal family, the results can be painful and almost destructive to relationships.  Long held hurts are not given up quickly and are recorded in the heart and mind to continually bring up as an excuse of why feelings must be validated and forgiveness cannot take place.  Almost the mindset of "I HAVE A RIGHT NOT TO FORGIVE!" 

Numbers 12:1, "Miriam and Aaron began to talk against Moses....".  The excuse for speaking against Moses was his wife, and their prejudice about her ethnicity...like she could control where she was born or the color of her skin! The "excuse" becomes MORE apparent in the next verse, "Has the LORD spoken only through Moses, they asked.  Hasn't He also spoken through us?"  YUCK!  The reason is too very evident and in huge print, PRIDE.  We can call it insecurity and inferiority, but when it is all about me, how I think, how I feel, my right...PRIDE.  Our first response, unless we discipline our minds and hearts HUMBLING OURSELVES to the Lord, is usually pride and fear.  Note God's response to Miriam and Aaron's criticism...He called them to the Tent of Meeting and HE, as a cloud, stood at the entrance.  They were called into accountability for their spirits of pride.  Miriam who had been celebrated for her song when they victoriously crossed the Red Sea was now cast out of the camp for 7 days because she was struck with leprosy, yet healed. I just betcha she returned with humility.  (It is thought that Miriam was the instigator because she is mentioned first and was disciplined for her careless speech.  Aaron did plead for her healing.)   It is interesting that Moses was also present and did not speak, yet I can imagine what was MOST MEANINGFUL to him was the commendation and affirmation that God gave to him in vv. 6-8.  Because of his humility, he could over look the pettiness of his brother and sister. Moses was a grace giver.  

The take-aways are numerous:  I am reminded to forgive AS God has forgiven me.  I am accountable for my words... Are they life or death words? The spirits of criticism and condemnation are not of the Lord. My hurts can be healed only by the Lord and my willingness to forgive.  (If the hurts are abusive, then I can still forgive, but I am not required to enter back into trusted and full relationship.)  I am obligated in light of being greatly forgiven to also be a giver of grace.  From my friend who teaches Boundaries: Does it need to be said?  Do I say it now? Am I the one to say it?  Is it important 3 months from now?  May this be helpful and healing!  Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN

REHEARSALS