WELL, SHUT MY MOUTH!

Image result for CLIPART SHOWING SHUT MY MOUTHThe ole saying, "Well, shut my mouth!" seems to have been updated with "Shut up!"  I am combining the last four chapters of Job in my reading today.  Shut my mouth are the very words that Job speaks of himself when God does call Job to account for his words and attitudes which are spoken and thought beyond his knowledge and ability to know.  He confesses in chapter 40, "I am unworthy-how can I reply to You? I put my hand over my mouth, I spoke once, but I have no answer, twice, but I will say no more."

How like God to not comply to Job's request and demand that HE answer to him...the SOVEREIGN ALMIGHTY meet the demands of the fragile, flawed, and finite even in his great pain?  God speaks to Job, specifically, asking him questions from chapters 38-41.  The commentator of chapter 38  "Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm.  He said...."  Other expressions of storm from the Hebrew, whirlwind, tornado, hurricane are words which are "associated with the divine presence.  It spoke of the powerful unmanageable nature of God;  that He is like a tornado that cannot be controlled or opposed."   

Job is certainly not the first or the last of God's highest creation that will dare to ask God the questions: "Why, Lord?" "Are You sure You know what You are doing with and to me?"  Amazing that the Almighty has not zapped us from the face of the earth, but how much more amazing if we are willing, we can press into HIM and experience HIS comfort, His compassion, His love, His mercy, and His grace.  Not sure who spoke this, it seems like it was attributed to Spurgeon, "When you can't trace God's hand, you can trust His heart."  The Word of God has been given to us that we could trace His hand and trust His heart...if we are willing to spend some well-needed time in His Word.  

My personal take-aways from dear ole Job:
  •  I am as unknowing of Mysterious and Magnificent God as Job, but I can trust what I do know of HIM from His completed Word which Job did NOT have.
  • God is gracious and forgiving and is NOT intimidated by the fact that I don't understand His actions.
  • HE uses pain and my shattered dreams as vehicles to drive/draw me to HIM so that I might experience HIM more intimately and fully learn greater trust in HIM. 
  • Love the fact that God is Sovereign: Psalm 115:3, "Our God is in heaven; He does whatever pleases Him."  
  • Like Job, "I know that You can do all thing, no plan of Yours can be thwarted.  You asked, "Who is this that obscures My counsel without knowledge? Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."  Job then repents and humbles himself to God.  
  • The narrative of Job is completed, with his questions and my questions still not answered, but with a willingness to simply say, "Lord, I am willing to trust You for ALL I don't know and don't understand."  
Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN