WHAT IS THE COST?

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING THE COST OF DISOBEDIENCEThank the Lord that obedience is easier now, most of the time.  I do well remember, as a child, youth, and as an adult, having to decide COST.  Two very important questions that I had to learn to navigate:  What is the cost of this choice?  What will the choice cost me personally?  Of course, too many times, I figured out the questions after the pain of the choice!

After completing Job in my reading, I have been directed to return to Genesis.  I pick up in chapters 12-15 and focus on another flawed individual, used greatly of the Lord, but was still very flawed.  His learning of faith was a process and a progress...just like yours and mine.  

Abram was promised a 5 fold blessing by God, and then instructed to leave his country, leave his people, and leave his father's household. Abram was obedient about leaving, however,  he took his nephew, Lot, who turned out to be a major pain and distraction.  Slight disobedience perhaps?

Abram journeys to a land and arrived in Canaan, where God promises, "To your offspring I will give this land." I do not know the time period, but a  severe famine occurs in the land, and Abram, without direction from God, takes Sarai and they go into Egypt.  He makes the choice for Sarai to pretend they are brother and sister...partial truth.  She is taken into Pharaoh's harem causing Sarai to be vulnerable to being impregnated by Pharaoh.  What a hot mess!  The rouse is discovered and Abram is reprimanded by a pagan king and also leaves with Sarai, riches from Pharaoh, and Hagar, an Egyptian hand maid to Sarai who will use Hagar and the choice will become a snare and disruption to the plan and purpose of God for Abram.   More slight disobediences added to the list and they will be costly.   

Lot and his possessions are seized by a rove of kings who capture Sodom and Gomorrah.  Abram enters the fray with his army and Lot and his possessions are returned to Sodom and Gomorrah.  An interesting consequence of disobedience in taking Lot with him and Sari. 

In chapter 15, Abram enters into a covenant, a contract with God.  God's promise to him, "... a son coming from your own body will be your heir."  The addendum to the promise..."Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them....So shall your offspring be."  What a promise!  Tragically by chapter 16, we read that Sarai has an idea to help God along...oh me!  My sister of another mother even though far removed in eons of years, but the propensity is still there among us sisters. 

As I count up the times of disobedience, there is a truth that over rides even disobedience.."Abram believed the Lord, and HE credited it to him as righteousness." Abram's disobedience was costly just as yours and mine, but God's grace trumps disobedience. As Abram, we will have to live with the consequences of our choices...those times that we just knew what was best for us!  I am so grateful that Father God does NOT say, "I will use you when you obey me perfectly."  HE does allow my choices, sometimes to fail, in order that I may be willing to commit to obedience and trust.  So very grateful for grace in the midst of the consequences of poor choices.  Job's confession to God, "I know that You can do all things; no plan of Yours can be thwarted."  (Job 42:2)  Psalm 40:8, "I desire to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart."  Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN