SAME SONG, SECOND VERSE

Related imageIt isn't really about a song, but about an act being repeated.  The act occurs first in Genesis 12 when Abraham decided to plan a rouse that Sarah was his sister and receives a scolding by a pagan pharaoh in Egypt. Now in reading today, in Genesis 20, Abraham is up to his old trick of misrepresenting facts, misspeaking, half-truth, oh rats, call it what it is, LYING!  He is in the country of Philistia and commits to the lie, the half-truth that Sarah is his sister to protect himself.  When asked by the king of Philistia why the reason for the rouse, hear his reply, "I said to myself, 'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife."  Sarah is probably now in her late 70's!  In speaking to himself, he surmises that this is a godless place.  He convinces Sarah that this is how you "can show your love to me" by claiming Sarah to be his wife.  His third reason was to blame God..."And when God had me wander from my father's household..."  Same song, second verse...God is again gracious and merciful.  Abraham has now been corrected twice by pagans who seem to have a higher sense of morality than he!  

I come away rejoicing again that God does not demand perfection before we can be used for His purpose and His plan.  I even rejoice that sin is not covered over...I would rather my sin be covered/hidden/not revealed, of course!  Providence says, "The good work in you, I am going to bring it to completion in spite of your foolish attempts to have your own way.  My plans will not be thwarted."  Abraham, as you and I, are in the faith process.  In this life, Abraham did not have perfect faith and neither will we. May we be always growing in faith and in obedience to our Lord. Thank you that Scripture is about flesh and blood people like you and me who struggle in their walk of faith.  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great crowd of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2)Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN