WAITING FOR 25 YEARS

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING WAITINGI wished I could brag about how well I wait and wait patiently.  To even state it would be, "Liar, Liar, pants on fire!"  I have had to LEARN how to wait, and I am STILL in the LEARNING PROCESS.  Abraham and Sarah have waited for 25 years for the fulfillment of "I will make you a great nation."  Abraham is 99 and Sarah is 89 years of age. Even though Abraham lived until he was 175 years old and Sarah lived 127 years, they are WELL passed middle age of child bearing. Sarah's reproductive clock has given its last tick-tock.  In chapter 16, Sarah takes the matter into her own hands with the statement, "I can build a family through her."  Pride and desperation seem have to seeped in and she chooses Hagar, the maid acquired in Egypt where they were NOT directed to go by God.   Sarah suggests that Hagar can bear a child for her and Abraham, and he agrees to do so.  Today, 2018, the struggle continues between the children of Abraham and Sarah and Abraham and Hagar!  The price of impatience can be more than I would ever consider...if I would only reconsider my idea to be helpful!

Chapter 17, the covenant is spoken again to Abraham. Because Ishmael has been born, Abraham requests of God that Ishmael "will live under Your blessing."  God, being merciful and gracious, gives a blessing to Ishmael, but HE clarifies that the "everlasting covenant for his descendants after him" will be through the son to be born of Abraham and Sarah, and God has already named him Issac.  

In chapter 18, Sarah hears for herself, the promise of a son. The visitors speaking to Abraham are outside the tent visiting and eating. (Commentators suggest that one of the visitors could have been the pre-incarnate Jesus who is speaking to Abraham.)  Both Abraham and Sarah hear again that they will bear a son.  Out of the mouth of the Pre-incarnate Jesus is the statement, " Is anything too hard for the Lord?  I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son." (Genesis 18:14)  Just know, the Lord Jesus certainly knows whether something is too hard for Lord God to accomplish.  I found the statement, "God is greater than my doubts!"

I understand "waiting" and I confess it is a challenging activity because it requires spiritual restraint and trusting God for the promise to come.  I have birthed a few consequences that I wished I had been willing to wait...to hold on...to endure a while longer.  Joshua 21:45, "Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed, every one was fulfilled."  God's character has not changed throughout the ages, ALL that HE has promised is being fulfilled and will be fulfilled...in HIS TIMING OF COURSE!  Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN