SEEPING OR DRAINING?



Image result for clipart showing joyJoy is the theme of Philippians, whose author is Paul.  It has been written from a Roman jail.  Joy is one of the fruit that the Spirit of God gives to us.  In looking up the word, joy, in the Greek, I note that it comes from the same root word as the word, grace.  Joy is to be calmly happy, another inner work of the heart and the spirit within us which is NOT contingent on whether my circumstances are good or hellishly bad. My emotions are not meant to be the gauge to determine my joy

One of the earliest expressions of joy was when the angel of the Lord appeared to the shepherds who were attending their flock of sheep.  "Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you, He is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:10-11.  

I remember as a young pastor's wife, there was an elderly gentleman in our church family that called me weekly just to talk.  His wife, Mazie was an invalid from a stroke she had suffered.  He was her care-giver.  He missed her words!   So to have someone to speak with, he called me.  His conversations usually were so fear-filled, now that I am close to his age, I DO understand more fully.  I use to quote Paul's words from Philippians 4:4-7, "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again;  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every thing, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hears and your minds in Christ Jesus."   How very often this Scripture passage and Jack Golden have tugged on my heart when my own situation just looked and felt desperate.  

When the affairs of my life have become my focus, I know that joy is one of the first fruit to seep and to drain from my spirit.  I am reminded of David's words from Psalm 51 when he recognized his sin, "Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."  Joy is not meant to be of Christmas usage only, it is the fruit of the Spirit of God who indwells me and I get to draw it from Him all the time.  I have been negligent to call upon the Spirit requesting that joy prevails in spite of my emotions and the desperation I have felt.  I have usually been guilty of moving into fretting, stewing, and disappointment and then I have the "ah-ha" moment.  Where has my joy gone?  I have allowed the cares and distractions of life to seep and drain joy out of my life. Today, Oh Lord, restore to me Your joy for it is strength to my life.  Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN