BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING i SAID SOI well remember how frustrating those words were to me as a youth, yet of course, I used them more times then I could ever count to my own three sons and the students I taught over the years.  If I didn't verbalize them, you can just know the attitude was there. Of course, I had to move into valid reasons in the process.  Disclaimer...they were valid to me, at least!

Reading Hebrews 1-6, I come to the passage in the latter of chapter 6 and I love the security that "because I said so" brings to my heart and mind.  Verses 13-20 concern the certainly of God's promise.  God had promised Abraham that He would abundantly bless him and the blessing would come through his son.  Aged Abraham, I just bet, gasped as he considered he and Sarah's age, well past the years of reproduction. After a 25 year wait, "Abraham received what was promised."  The Author reminds the reader, that men swear by someone greater than themselves which is the guarantee, the oath, when they make a promise and that it WILL happen. Of course, man does have the propensity to lie or to intend to fulfill the promise. 

I digress,  I just have to include this very precious truth which is really about you and me...God did not demand perfect faith from Abraham in order to receive the promise of an heir.  We recall that Abraham tried to "help" God with the child borne by Hagar, the handmaiden of Sarah.  Was Sarah ever NOT a help to Abraham and us! I love the statement Paul makes in Romans 4:10, "Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him."  Scripture, at this point, does not mention that Abraham "threw in the towel" and gave in to Sarah's suggestion to have a child by Hagar.  NOW THAT IS GRACE IN REPORTING! This same grace and mercy is offered to us when we sin.  

Hebrews 6 says that God wanted Abraham to know of HIS fixed purpose of an heir for Abraham, HE confirmed the promise with an oath.  I wondered about the oath..in Greek, the word, oath, suggests a fence or boundary.  Abraham was given the promise of an heir and God's character was the boundary line, the oath...."it is impossible for God to lie"! Because God is a Promise Keeper to Abraham, we who are of the seed of Abraham as Christ followers are encouraged.  We have the hope/confidence as an anchor for our mind, will, and emotions that what God has promised, HE will accomplish.  Recall with me that the purpose of the anchor in those days, as it was dropped into the waters, was to grab hold of the lake or ocean bottom and secure the boat in the specific location. Our confidence in God's promises are our anchor, our security.  We can be secure in HIS BECAUSE I SAID SO! His timing and the when is HIS divine prerogative. Forever learning!  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.   
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN