ENCOURAGEMENT INSTEAD OF A SWIFT KICK IN THE BRITCHES

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING KICKING SOMEONESometimes, I am correct in the "advice" that I suggest even though, so often it is ignored...could it be my delivery method?  I am in Acts 27, Paul is on a ship sailing for Rome.  He has just finished being grilled by King Agrippa and trials before Felix and Festus and all agreed Paul could go free had he not made his appeal to Caesar.  God has directed him to "testify in Rome".  What a lousy directive!  BUT God has a plan and a purpose to which Paul is obedient by faith.

On board the ship, Paul warns the centurion to not sail on the given date because  of the possible loss of cargo, the ship, and the prisoners.  The weather, the winds, and the rough seas make a trip on the Mediterranean Sea during the winter months challenging even though the ship sailed near the coast lines. Sure enough, they enter storms.  The cargo is thrown overboard, stars do not appear for days, the winds rage. Luke states that they "finally gave up all hope of being saved".

Paul is observing the men for they have fought the winds for a days without food, and he speaks, "Men you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete, then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss.  But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed.  Last night, an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul.  You must stand trial before Caesar and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.So keep up your courage, men for I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me.  Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island." 

I could not help but wonder...which I do so often...I note that Paul did not dwell and dig deeply and unmercifully on his "I told you so".  I mean he had a captive audience,and he could have unloaded, but he chose to remind them of his counsel, then he moved on to encourage and speak his faith. Which would the men remember...his reminder that he was right or the grace of encouragement that he gave?  When I am so desirous "to be right" am I willing to humble that "right" to the Lord Jesus and be an encourager? Which honors the Lord, my being right or my willingness to humble myself and speak encouragement?  Cheryl, be alert...being "right!!" is really about pride.  Drats!  Be encouraged!  Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN