WHEN I AM AFRAID

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING FEAR  I wished that I could say, "If I am afraid", but I have to admit that the more appropriate word is WHEN.  I do not come away rejoicing that with the choices of Adam and Eve, we were all born with the spirits of fear or pride. Before the fall, Adam and Eve were created  to express purpose, the ability to worship, have security, and know love/affirmation.  Because Eve was more taken with the thought that "If I eat of the tree of good and evil, I can be like God", you and I get to struggle with the innate inclination toward fear or toward pride .  Then, there are times that I can morph into both inclinations...and will agree with Paul, "O wretched man that I am!"  

I am so grateful for King David because after spending time with his Psalms, I know that he was fearful and probably had a wresting match with shame.  Hear him from Psalm 56 :3-4, "When I am afraid; I will put my trust in Thee, in God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust. What can mere man do to me?"  I find it so interesting that he repeated the same declaration again in verses 10-11.  Yes, I understand that he was a prey for Saul, the predator, who wanted to destroy him, but the fear theme is repeated numerous times in his Psalms.   

I have not been chased by lions, tigers, bears, or men that hated me and wanted to take my life, but I have dealt with the inane "What if?", "How can I?" "Not good enough"  for too many decades.  Fear, insecurity, and inferiority were my default mindsets of choice...which are really fear and pride tag teaming!  Yelp, you read it correctly.  Insecurity and inferiority are about me and the focus on ME is all about PRIDE.  The real assault weapon for fear and pride is the declaration from 1 Peter 5:6-8, "I will humble myself under the mighty hand of God, and I will trust Him to raise me up when He is ready.  I will cast all my cares on Him because I know He cares for me.  Yes, Lord, I will stay alert because I know the adversary, the ole liar is prowling and seeking who he can devour.  In your Name, I resist him."  Daily, I choose to make the declaration because I have practiced the default mindset of pride and fear way too long.  Like you, I am pressed with choices, and I get to choose whether I will humble myself or will I swell up like an old toad with pride?  that also means I will repeat the declaration numerous times. Forever learning!  In process!  #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN