NO RAIN EXCEPT BY MY WORD


 Image result for google clipart of no rain

  My readings so far have been from 1 and 2 Chronicles which are focused on the kings of the Southern Kingdom of Judah.  I decided to go back and pick up one of my most favorite heroes in the faith, the prophet Elijah.  

Without any introduction or fanfare, Elijah appears like a blast of lightening on the scene and confronts Ahab, a king of the Northern Kingdom of Israel.  1 Kings 16 gives an intro of Ahab, "And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the Lord more than all who were before him."  Sounds ominous to me what is going to transpire in the following narratives.  Ahab's forebears have introduced the worship of the golden calves, and Ahab marries Jezebel who brought into the kingdom the worship of Baal and his goddess, Asherah.  Ahab has even dared to set up the idols in the house of the Lord.  (I wonder what idols we have set up in our hearts as we worship and claim to be Christ followers?)  

The culture of Israel at this time: greed, apostasy, idol worship, spiritual darkness, ungodly leadership, and the basic pre 1960 practice of the theory, "God is dead".  I find it astounding that in that darkness and so like God to do the impossible, God has raised up a voice..a voice from a crudely dressed and brazenly spirited courageous man who is willing to confront a king.  Now that is gutsy for sure!   I love the power of one who is under the leadership of the Spirit of God!  His pronouncement, "As the Lord, the God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, surely there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word."  1 Kings 17:1b. You can just surmise that Ahab is NOT overcome with joy to hear THIS pronouncement!  The plot will continue in the days ahead as I follow Elijah.  

As I consider Elijah, I am challenged to be willing to risk, under the leadership of the Spirit, and not my own foolishness,   for the cause of Christ.  Today, I am not sure what and when that "risk" may come or will be, but I am willing. I am too blessed and too old as a Christ follower to be protective of me.  The Psalmist says it so well in Psalm 40:8, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God; Thy Law is within my heart."    Forever learning! In process still! #IHAVETHREESONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN