Taking Up the Shield of Faith

I love Colossians 2:15:"HE disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in Him."  (My capitalization of He, Him, and His are my own.)  As I worked through this passage, I began to consider all of our armor which we are commanded to take put on and take up because of our "wrestle against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic power over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."  I especially focused on the shield of faith with which I can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one. As I considered that shield, I wondered what kind of shield and how was the shield used.  Good ole Bible dictionary gave me some enlightenment.  The large shield is the sinna(Hebrew) thureos (Greek).  It could cover the whole body.  It was carried by the heavily armed infantry.  The second shield was a smaller shield, magan, carried by archers.  It was constructed of wood or wicker work overlaid with leather.  The leather was often oiled before battles.  The oil would put out or lessen the fire hazard of the fiery darts. Interestingly enough, the shield of faith is the large shield which covers the whole body.  I am not sure why  and I am waiting to get further understanding, when God told Abraham that He was Abraham's shield, the word is magan, the smaller shield.  I am seeking that Truth with the Spirit of Truth.  I don't want to be guilty of isogesis, reading into Scripture what may not be present.  All I know to believe and to practice is to take up the shield of faith and extinguish the flaming darts that satan sends and to deflect the lying taunts.  More than a conqueror in Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN