LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

  For the first time in many years, I have enjoyed reading through Leviticus.  I have skipped it several times and read on.  This go round, I have sought to focus on some thoughts, words, phrases, or practices that God had instituted for the Israelites and their physical and spiritual well-being.  The Ten Commandments and many of the laws have real practical value for society and the Christ follower today.  The Lord God gave them a standard, a commandment, which is applicable for today, "You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees.  I am the Lord (Jehovah) your God (Elohim).  Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them.  I am the LORD."  Leviticus 18:4-5  

My concluding thought from Leviticus is this admonition or commandment:  "You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own."  Leviticus 20:26.  Even though spoken to Israel, the truth of being holy is directed toward you and me.  The apostle, Peter thought the commandment was meaningful enough that he included it in his writing in 1 Peter 1:15-16.  We have some false perceptions as to what holiness looks like.  The word, holy, from the Hebrew, means set apart, separate, or sacred. It does Not mean judgemental or condemnation of self or others!  It carries with it the understanding that you and I are to be separated from that which does NOT look or behave as Him or His Truth.  I AM NOT SPEAKING OF PERFORMANCE, PERFECTION, OR  BEING A PHARISEE. For the Christ follower today, the goal of our Lord God and His Holy Spirit is that you and I are being conformed to the image of the Lord Jesus to reveal Him to our lost and dying world....that is the reason of the Holy Spirit indwelling and empowering us. One of the reasons our culture today is bewildered, baffled, and  confused could be that we Christ followers are speaking and behaving the mixed message of being dual-minded.  Too often, we think in terms of being saved from hell and then ignoring any alignment with the truth of the Word of God in our thinking and behaving.  You and I have been set apart, sanctified, separated for His purpose and there is no pride involved in holiness.  Holiness is a process in sanctification.  As we are maturing in Him,  we should be mirroring His image in our private and public lives.  Sanctification (being set apart) is a Process by which is lived out, step by step maturing in the Lord...no magic zot with a magic wand or short-cuts!  (I know you are glad this is my last thought...for Leviticus!)  Forever learning.  In process.  No short-cuts.  #IHAVETHREESONS. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN