NACL, PLEASE

  Today,  I enter the book of Leviticus.  I am not always fulling appreciative of the book with its laborious details, however, this year, I want to hear what the Spirit is speaking. The book has several megathemes: sacrificial offering, worship, health, holiness, and the Levites/Priests. NACL is the chemical compound for salt, sodium chloride...that is about the limit of my knowledge of the Chart of Elements from chemistry!

As offerings were presented, I came away so grateful that I did not have to take a lamb, goat, bird, or grains to church!  I did note that only the grain offering was seasoned with salt.  In fact, the directive was: "Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings;  add salt to all your offerings."  I come away wondering why the grain offering was the only one seasoned with salt? (I won't start that rabbit trail.  I move on.)

During these ancient times, salt was valued as a preservative and for seasoning.  Salt was also used in the ratification of agreements or covenants among the Israelites.  Salt was the symbol of fidelity and faithfulness. It suggested the eternal nature of a covenant of salt which existed between God and Israel.  Newborns were rubbed with salt before being swaddled. Remember Elisha used salt to sweeten the brackish waters of the spring at Jericho?

  Jesus spoke of you and me as salt of the earth in Matthew 5:13.  Mark 9:50 also is spoken by Jesus, but the phrase is added, "Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."  Even Paul joined in, "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt." Colossians 4:6.  Salt seemed to be evidence in relationships.  We are to be affecting, influencing, infecting our world with the influence of the Holy Spirit who indwells us.  Am I so seasoned and controlled by His attitudes, speech, and behavior that I am  salt/influence for righteousness and peace?  Pass the NACL, please. Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN

REHEARSALS