TALK IS CHEAP

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING SOMEONE WHO IS WORDY   One of my fondest quotes from an ole friend, "Talk is cheap!"  As I read Exodus 16-19, the Israelites have grumbled, argued, and complained against God.  Of course transporting 600+people is no small feat even with angels going before the crowd and behind the crowd protecting them.   In these chapters, they have run out of water, bread, and meat.  God has faithfully provided and very sufficiently.  

At the present time, they are at Mt. Sinai, and God is going to meet with them and Moses and give them the laws by which they are to live, govern, and align their lives for their protection, security, health, and spiritual welfare.  First, God calls Moses up the mountain and he gives him these words to give to the crowd: "You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself.  Now if you obey Me fully and keep My covenant, then out of all nations you will be My treasured possession.  Although the whole earth is Mine, you will be for Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.  These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites."   Moses tells the people what God has commanded him to speak.  Their response: "WE WILL DO EVERYTHING THE LORD HAS SAID."  Moses reports their reply back to God. 

Those words will become quite meaningless as Moses returns back up the mountain to receive God's laws for the Israelites. In fact, they are at the base of the mountain and when they see and hear God's presence in thunder, lightening, smoke, and trumpet sounds, they are so fearful that they ask Moses to tell them what God says rather then God speak directly to them.  In chapters 20-32 as the law is being given to Moses who is up the mountain with God, the commitment of the people, their talk, becomes CHEAP.  Even Aaron joins into their cheap talk and leads them in acts of debauchery. 

Oh my goodness!  I have been there with easy and cheap words, and no follow-through.  My only reply, WERE IT NOT FOR GRACE!  Words are easy to speak and offer when there is no pressing need against me.  How grateful I am for our Father's faithfulness and omniscience of this child!  I am sure He is never surprised, but probably often grieved that I do not always back my words with a volitional, I WILL!  Proverbs 10:19 from The Message: "The more talk, the less truth, the wise measure their words."   Forever learning.  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.  



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN

REHEARSALS