SET YOUR HEART

Image result for CLIP ART SHOWING SETTING THE HEART FIRMLY  In Luke 12, Jesus is warning you and me about the sin of worry as we are distracted by so many cares, concerns, and maybe needs.  In Luke 12:29, "And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them."  The NIV uses do not set your heart, while the old KJV says, do not seek after.  The suggestion is: do not focus on, aim for, or pursue after.


I wonder...how do I set my heart?  Do I set it very casually and just throw whatever upon it like I am putting a fast throw together meal on the table? Do I protect and guard my heart with what I see, hear, or speak? Or do I set my heart with purpose and intentionality for what I understand may be God's "meal"/purpose for me today?  Sometimes, I set my table so casually and carelessly with the distractions that want to press against me, and then I use all the "plastic tools and plastic plates", my self-help thoughts, to attack the distractions.  

Paul gives us a reminder in Colossians 3:1-2, "Since then, you have been raised with Christ, set your heart upon things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthy things."  I confess, it is a struggle to focus, to aim, and pursue!  I must keep allowing the Spirit of God to remind me that HE KNOWS WHAT I NEED, and that HE has the ability to accomplish and to guide me in setting my heart on that which honors HIM.  In honoring HIM FIRST, all of the rest of the things which press will take on a different perspective instead of the 911 attention that I may give it.  Setting my mind and heart will give me respite and victory from fretting and stewing which is so dishonoring to HIM.  Tim Keller has said it so well, "Anxiety is a daily fax to God saying, "I don't think You have my best interests in mind." OUCH!  Oh me of little faith!  May your heart be set today with His purpose and His peace!  Forever learning!  In process.  #IHAVETHREESONS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REHEARSALS

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN