SITTING RATHER THAN STANDING

I confess, there are times that I had rather sit quietly and ignore what is going on around me.  There are times when I must interrupt my "sittin" and be willing to stand with boldness.  The choice will have to be bathed in prayer.

Every year I choose to read through the Bible and there are several dreaded reads: most of Judges, Leviticus, and the two chapters of 2 Samuel 11-12 which relate the story of David's sin with Bathsheba, the murder of Uriah, Nathan's fingering of David's "secret" sin, and the death of the child.  Sounds like a story from our local newspaper or maybe a television show?  

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the boldness of Nathan who dared to finger the king.  Hear his words from the LORD: "Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you."  With that choice came the consequences of his son's rebellion, his son raping his half-sister, his son sleeping with a concubine of David....why he needs 6 wives and concubines anyway???  The consequences are hellish and all borne out of rebellion...the attitude that "I will damn well do what I want to do regardless of the cost!"  I have figured out:  Disobedience is costly and PAINFUL!

As fantastic a king and warrior David was, how poorly he modeled to his children the truths that he had written about and the truths that he knew from his great blessings from the LORD.  

Thank you God for your grace.  Your love did not change for David, and your love has not changed for me in all my "hot and cold" messes.  I challenge me and I challenge you to consider WHEN we are going to PRAY and boldly stand or WHEN we are going to just ignore what is going on around us and PRAY.   Fight the good fight of faith!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

ORDER AND DESIGN

REHEARSALS