OVERCOME

I must confess that I gravitate toward any of the Scriptures that have this Christ follower getting the victory.  I love to stand on the trash-heap of some of my attempts, my failures, and even my losses and get to proclaim that I have overcome!  1 John may just be one of my top favs: "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them (spirit of antichrist), because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."  "For everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith."  There was a hymn in the old Baptist hymnal, Faith is the Victory and it is straight from 1 John 5:4. 

I was intrigued with the word, overcome, and in the Greek, nikao, subdue, conquer, get the victory.  Looks a lot like the NIKE shoes.  Romans 8:37 we are called "more than conquerors"...hupernikao, to gain a surpassing victory.  Certainly this is not what the culture and the taunts of the evil one press against us.  Looking at the Truth of Scripture with the spiritual eyes God has given us, I must run to the Truth and refuse to receive the lies pressed against.  Regardless of what it looks like, what it feels like, or what I hear from media and other down-in-the-mouth negatives, "Our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases." Ps. 115:3 As subjects to Him, we are conquerors because He overcame sin, death, the evil one, and the grave! FAITH in His completed work at Calvary and the empty tomb. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN