LORD (Despotes, Greek)

So many times, I have stated to others, and to the LORD in prayer, "Father, I know You are in control."  The statement usually followed with "But why....?" 

As I was working in Acts 4 today, I see that Peter and John have been released by the Sanhedrin with numerous threats not to heal or even speak in the name of Jesus.  After their release, they rejoin a group of believers and share their stories of what has happened to them.  They choose to pray being in one mind, heart, and accord.  

The prayer is begun with the term, LORD.  In the Greek, the term is depotes which was a slave owner or ruler who had such power that HE could not be questioned.  In our LORD'S case, a benevolent ruler, but still one whom we should reverence and fear.  Fear that recognizes HIS power, authority, and the perfect knowledge He possesses.  Sovereign might be another term for HIM...Sovereign LORD.  As I mulled on the truths that HE is almighty, all knowing, all seeing, all hearing, and ever present, I was convicted of my sin of unbelief and questioning!  Far too many times, I have wanted HIS perfect knowledge, perfect wisdom, and perfect justice to make sense to my finite and extremely limited intelligence which I call common sense and logic.  

Because Peter, John, and the prayers knew GOD was in control, they could pray with power, boldness, and confidence.  They understood that man's decisions against them could not operate outside the sphere of GOD'S control.  I want that same kind of faith which these New Testament saints modeled from Acts 4.  Thank you, LORD, for the indwelling Holy Spirit of power who fills and refuels me daily.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN