ME-ISM

Image result for clipart showing selfishLest you think that me-ism is a cultural philosophy of the milennial generation, check out the read in Genesis 11 and the reasoning of the building of the Tower of Babel: "so that we may make a name for ourselves" and then along comes the read from Genesis 12 and Father Abraham.  Abram became fearful going into Egypt and basically handed his wife over to Pharaoh with the words to her, "Say your are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you." What a magnamous attitude of selfish me-ism.  

I could even go back to Genesis 4 with Cain taking the life of Abel.  When confronted by God, Cain's concern was what will happen to me?  He had a recalcitrant and calloused heart, with no remorse for taking the life of his brother, Abel. 

We have practiced well the sin of me-ism and I am thinking before the Fall, God gave to man these needs: love/affirmation, security, purpose, and worship.  With the Fall each need became perverted out of pride and fear.  The "twisting" continues today the further we move into ourselves and away from the focus on the LORD JESUS.  Our choice, our reminder from Romans 12:2, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of you mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing, and perfect will."   Our model, the LORD JESUS, has shown us by HIS very life what the life of self-giving/sacrifice looks like.  May we be willing to practice HIS mind set one day at a time until it is a behavior that honors HIM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAST THOUGHT ON LEVITICUS

REHEARSALS

ORDER AND DESIGN